Ecole Fessart is located in the mountains high above Petionville. It is an extremely poor area and it’s up a very steep mountain, which makes it difficult to reach. There are approximately 120 children attending the school. They currently have no permanent building. Classes are held in a tent that does not protect the interior from the elements. There are bare dirt floors and the school benches rot very easily from the rain and constant moisture. However, the children attend school even under these conditions. The head of the school is a lovely 29 year old man working in very difficult circumstances, but he is committed to the school and the children. There are a total of 6 teachers that are very rarely paid as there are no funds to do so. Through my friend Sarah’s amazing work, the school is provided with food once a month via a sponsor that she secured. This ensures that the children have at least one meal per day during the school week.
Our immediate goal is to bring backpacks and school supplies for all of the 120 children to be delivered at the start of the new school year in September. Additionally, since the school has nothing, we would also like to bring any other classroom supplies (i.e. chalk, chalkboard erasers, art and craft supplies, etc.) that we know will go to good use.
Our goal is to provide the following wish list items to each child:
- 1 – backpack
- 1 – hand pencil sharpener
- 1 – 24 pack of crayons
- 2 – 100 count Composition Notebooks
- 1 – pencil case
- 1 – eraser or pencil top erasers
- 5 – ballpoint pens (blue or black)
- 6 – number 2 pencils
- 1 – 12″ ruler
We are confident that we can achieve this goal, but we will need assistance. Here are some ways that you can help us reach our goal:
- Make a donation to be the hope: haiti via PayPal or check. https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=U8FLWQEVFBAM8
Checks should be made payable to:
Be The Hope, Inc.
9767 N. Baylor Drive
Fountain Hills, AZ 85268
- Host a school supply drive at your child’s school, daycare, office, church or business
- Pick up some extra school supplies from our wish list while doing your own back to school shopping
- Fundraise by holding a car wash, bake sale, rummage sale, etc.
- Share this with your friends via social media
- Local donations of school supplies can either be dropped off at the above address (there is a collection bin out front) or we will pick them up!
Please contact us with any questions, comments or suggestions! Thank you in advance for your help and support!