On my last day in Haiti I delivered backpacks and school supplies to children at Mix Emmanuel Primary School in Port au Prince. The school was very impressive and the director was a lovely man. Unfortunately, the classrooms had less than half of the amount of children that they could hold. Each of the 6 classrooms can hold 40 children, but due to the cost of schooling, families can not afford to send their children. The school asks each family to contribute 500 gourdes (approximately $12.50 per month.) and for many, that is too much. The children were very appreciative and had smiles from ear to ear when given a new backpack and supplies.
It’s been an exciting week! Our website is live! http://www.bethehopehaiti.org It is my first attempt at “building” a website and, although it’s not perfect, I am very proud of myself! I officially contacted some of my friends and family to let them know what I am doing and passed along my web address, Facebook page and blog info. Thirty eight likes on Facebook already! I’ve also had more views on my blog in the past few days. Baby steps!
I created a Twitter account, but I have never tweeted before in my life! I’m waiting for my teenage daughter to help me out with my first tweet.
Our first crowdsourced fundraising campaign is in the works. I have been agonizing over it; I want to make sure it perfectly tells potential donors what it is I hope to accomplish. I also have a few “perks” in the works that donors can choose from at 3 different donation levels. My hope is to launch it sometime next week. My goal is to raise $4,000.00 (so scary!) which will allow me to purchase 150 filled backpacks needed to help the kids that Frantz works with.
If you would like to help with our cause, here are some ideas and THANK YOU!
- Please tell ALL of your friends, family, neighbors, and colleagues about our cause.
- Become a fan of our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/bethehopehaiti
- Follow our blog on www.bethehopehaiti.wordpress.com
- Visit our website www.bethehopehaiti.org
- Check out our Amazon Wish List for additional needed items that we would like to bring to Haiti http://amzn.com/w/FU237H4GPEN3
- Set up your own fundraising event to benefit Be The Hope’s mission!